We believe that we should go through life with willingness to change and a sense of humor. When we are having a bad experience, we always say, "This will make a good story someday!" We want to fill this section with funny stories, tasteful, funny jokes and great quotes about doing an activity after fifty.
Used with permission of David Coverly (www.speedbump.com)
Cold weather and cozy fires, both gone in a snap
We had the last fire of the season the other night. It was one of those cool spring evenings when the temperature dips into the 30s for the last time...
How NOT to Pack:
The Old Gray Goose
This is a painfully funny story of how NOT to pack for a week long hike. A few years back, I bought a new "day" pack and since the cu. in. size seemed to be ALMOST (but not quite) the size pack I was striving to carry, I thought I would see what I could do with it for a week hike...
Wise Words On How To Stay In Shape From "Tuscarustic Cousin"
I keep fit as follows:
1) I farm. This year I pushed whellbarrows of wet cement for a "knee wall", rolled 2000 plus or minus pound bales into place, strung fencing, etc. The switch from agrarian to suburban living killed the most honest exercise of all--work.
2) In New Jersey Suburbia, I do always mow my own grass on about 1/3 acre--with a non-self propelled gasoline mower, or the old spindle mower.
3) If I'm well, tennis 3 nights a week--generally singles, and always with men younger (sometimes a generation or two) than I. I do stop after two sets--and the opposition knows they have had a match. Serve and volley is my style, not passively rallying from the baseline.
5) I take walks with my 22 month old grandson--maybe that doesn't really count, but it keeps me younger in other ways. Always nice when somebody accuses me of being his father.
6) Bad habits--too much viewed football on Saturday and Sunday--. I do blink my eyes at the TV set, though.
Jim - Tuscarustic Cousin
This is the perfect place for you to help this website grow. You may even be picked as our weekly favorite, so Send In those emails about something funny!